Monday, June 28, 2010

Ko Phangnan

We started as 10. From all over the world. Irish, Dutch, Canadian, American...we came together for one reason: Full Moon Party. Here's our story, choose to believe what you will...

We arrived at Ko Phangnan around 7.30 PM and decided it was a good time to get dinner. After a decent meal on beach watching fire dancers we decided it was time to start getting our groove on. We walked along the beach, which was starting to crowd up, and found a good place to chill out and talk. Then of course, the dancing started and as we were all breaking it down to Beyonce's 'Sweet Dreams' there was a flash of lightening. Really? Is this happening? Of course. It starts to POUR. Right down on all of us. But would that dampen our spirits? Absolutely not! We kept right on going.
After about an hour, the rain subsided and the rain dried. Back to square 1! From there 3 of our party members left to go see other bars. Another 2 boys left to chase after girls. But were still 5! Keeping strong. Until I met a group of Irish girls who LOVED the fact that I was from New York.

Aside: I've decided to say I'm from New York as opposed to DC, Detroit, or Chicago because well...lets face it. It's soooooo cool to drop the New York bomb. And to say you live in Manhattan. I may as well be walking on my head its so big. But the moment asks me an specifics I shout 'I live on 31st and Lexington with my sister!', push them out of the way, and run away. In case they figure out that I moved into the apartment only 1 week before traveling.

So, I left the pack, telling them I'd meet them back in a hour. Did that happen? No of course not. We got so distracted by all the sights that by the time I looked down at my watch it was: 4.00 AM. How did this happen? But I was so tired, so the girls invited me back to their dormotory and I crashed there, promising myself to wake up at 6.00 AM to catch the ferry back. Well, 6.00 AM came and went. I woke up at 12.00 PM realizing that I needed to catch the ferry back to Ko Tao. But where did I put my money?

As a safety percaution, I decided to hide my money in the dorm. I hid it so well, that even I couldn't find it the next morning. One of the girls loaned me some cash and I made my way back to Ko Tao. Disheveled and tired I walked to Buddha View dive resort to find myself the last to arrive from Full Moon Party. I was the lone soldier...the last one..the lone wolf with no pack. I was just an idiot.

But in total, 3 people got mugged (excluding myself, I pretty much mugged myself), 1 person almost got arrested by the cops and had to pay them off, 1 person fell asleep on the pier by himself waiting for the boat, 3 people stayed up all night, 2 people were found on the beach fast asleep face down in the sand, and well 1 beautiful girl missed the ferry. Pretty good though. We all came back safe and sound. That island is comparable to Lost.

Unfortunately no pictures. I only took money and nothing else to the party. For good reason too. But hopefully my story was animated enough.

Oh Thailand, how I've missed you.

No comments:

Post a Comment