Friday, June 25, 2010

Sawadeeka!

Let me paint you a picture...Wake up, brush your teeth, walk out of your bungalow and look out to this view:

From there, its time to start your day! After a delicious fried egg on a roll sandwich, its 12.30. Time to start diving and kill that hangover from the night before. Hop on the boat, gear up and then play with the fish all afternoon. Play with Nemo, Dory, turtles, trigger fish, angel fish and sea urchins. Do a couple somersaults in the water, blow a couple air rings and watch them float to the surface. Then before you know it, its time to go back to the bungalow! Get off the boat, shower and off to the bar for dinner, drinks and football. Eat some pad thai, fried rice and wash it all down with a Chang. From there, hang out with the other divers and share funny stories from the dives and around 3.00 AM go to bed. Then start it all over again!
Oh man, the days just melt together. It feels like I've been here for a month, I honestly can't even think about Nepal, Brazil or Hong Kong right now. It seems like I'll never leave. It feels so good to be back in Thailand...like coming home.
Flying into BKK felt so comfortable. Then to Khao San Road! Wow, nothing has changed. Just the people. Everyone is still trying to sell me a suit, fish massage, ping pong show...everything! Of course this time I'm aware of the scams! All the old stalls are there. I ate every meal at Shoshana, where they know exactly how I like my bagel toast with cheese, onion, tomato and olives. Mmmm and the banana pancakes with condensed milk...
But I was only there for 1 night, then made my way to Kao Tao (Island of turtles), where I've painted you my picture. And for the big news....

I am officially scuba certified!

Passed my swim test (thanks Team Priya!), equalized my ears properly and got to play in the worlds biggest toilet! Diving is quite the experience...we had class time and then our first 'dive' was in the pool. Its so bizarre that you can breathe underwater! You sound like darth vader, really cool! But the one important thing to note is: always breath! There were definitely a couple times when I got really nervous and forgot to breath. Then I remembered I could....
But my instructors were great, and super patient with me. It's definitely a gross sport. Spit in your mask, you're swimming in the world's biggest toilet and the wet suits aren't exactly flattering. But I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. I think I'll get my advanced open water sometime next year. Maybe in Hawaii...


This is my diving team. From the left Johnny (diving instructor), Me, James (class instructor), Ryan( the other student). It was only the two of us, pretty exclusive! They were so much fun!



Ah yes, this is me. On my last dive we were supposed to do the 'James Bond' entry into the water. This means, somersaulting in the water. I fell flat on my torso. I think I bruised my tummy!


That's Johnny preparing for the dive.


Our boat drive out to the dive site. Beautiful!

This one is for all my Thailand lovers. Just beautiful and green!

So all in all, I'm super happy to be back. Tonight...Full Moon Party on Koh Phangnan. Read about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Moon_Party. Can't wait!

Funny Stories
-After my long flight from Israel, I just wanted to get my hostel in BKK, shower and have a beer. So after I checked in, I went down to the bar across the street. As I'm sitting at the bar, alone, I notice a couple packs of boys. There were the cute English boys a couple tables away and then a couple not-so-hot boys from Nepal. But no worries, they were not my focus. After I finish my first drink, the waitress brings me another despite my protest. She says it was a gift...from who?! Was it the cute boys from England?! No, of course not. It was the not-so-good-looking boys from Nepal. I had a few laughs with them and then made my way home! Just my luck!
-There are these fish called trigger fish, which are apparently not very nice to divers. You shouldn't get close to them, they'll chase you away and try to bite you. We were lucky enough to see a massive one on our last dive and as James pointed it out to me, Johnny kept having to pull me back from getting too close. Its probably a good thing that they only had two students.
-I'm known as the girl with the white, beautiful teeth at Buddha view dive resort. I <3 Crest!

Full Moon Party here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment