Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hab-bibbi!

Ah yes, my dear fans, a new blog post to spice up your life! Sorry I've been so MIA, I've spent a lot of time in transit over the past few days.
So, our journey continues from Cairo. I hopped on a bus down to Luxor to see Karnak, Valley of the Kings and Valley of the Queens. After a long 10 hour bus ride, I arrived in what felt like a sauna...expect hotter. At night, the temperature dropped down to 90 degrees...so you can only imagine how hot it was during the day. I can't believe I didn't get an AC room. What was I thinking?
But Karnak was amazing, totally worth it. I guess its a temple of some kind, dedicated to some pharoah, and had something to do with eternal life...I'm not very good at history, I just don't like it. From there I went with a tour group to see Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens, some statues and another temple dedicated to someone else who lived in Egypt. Quite impressive, check it out!


Me in front a statue...not sure which one.

Two statues. Very tall!

Maybe one day I'll be mummified too! Gross.

So, this is the Valley of the Queens. It's in the middle of the desert so that robbers wouldn't steal from the tombs. But they chose this spot because of the cave right here...symbolizing a woman.


This is the spot chosen for the Valley of the Kings because of the natural pyramid shape on the mountain. For the males...ahem.

View of the desert from another temple.

View of Egypt from Karnak, beautiful! Hab-bibbi! That means 'my love'.

The hieroglyphics all over Karnak. They are supposed to say immortal life and bless the pharaoh in the afterlife.

We went into a couple tombs in the Valley of the Kings and the paint on the hieroglyphics was preserved. Even after 4000 years! Apparently they used three colors: red-from blood of animals, yellow-from yolk of a chicken, blue-from the powder of a stone. Also, I found out from my tour guide that the Jews did NOT build the pyramids! 'The Prince of Egypt' lied to me! Can you believe it?
But as you can see, I'm all pyramid-ed out. Ready for the beach!

General Thoughts/Reactions
-I wore my Five Finger shoes all through trekking the sand. No sand in them at all. Best buy ever!
-People keep asking if I am Egyptian, it's so annoying! Of course I'm not! I guess they could tell I was Cleopatra in my former life.
-I realized that I'm turning too dark...so I bought new soap for skin 'whitening'. Can you imagine if they sold that in America! What a lawsuit.
-I went to my first museum in over 5 years in Cairo. The Egyptian museum where the mummies are placed. Wow, really gross, they keep the mummies at 50 degrees...chilly willy!
-I ate this food called Kushary, which is basically a massive plate of carbs...pasta, rice, lentils, a little tomato sauce and some spicy sauce. Delicious! It's one of the few things I can eat here. I'm kind of sick of it.
-So far, I've lost: a pair a shorts, my sarong and a ring. Oh well, I needed to lighten the load anyway!
-I love the new Beyonce song: 'Why don't you love me?'. Watch the video, it's pretty funny.

Things I'm looking forward to
-In Nepal, I get to eat dal bhat everyday for 3 weeks! Yay!
-Momos in Nepal
-Pad Thai lady
-Getting scuba certified!

Miss you guys like an Indian misses curry!

1 comment: