Sunday, June 20, 2010

Are we there yet?

Oh my god. From Luxor, I made the 20 hour bus ride to Dahab. Worst night of sleep ever. Every 20 minutes a police officer came in asking for my passport or bus ticket...We are in the same country! Why do you need to see my passport?! Oh well.
But Dahab was beautiful, I went snorkeling at the Blue Cave and saw...Dory! From Finding Nemo! Can you believe it? I didn't stay to chat, I was too nervous with the school of baby baracuda swimming by. Unfortunately no pics. Why didn't I buy that $20 underwater camera at target?! But from Dahab, I made my way back to Israel, back to Eilat for one night. I ran into so many travelers from Cairo! I guess the world is a small place...or Eilat is the only border crossing between Israel and Egypt.
From there I decided it was prudent to make my way to Tel Aviv (5 hours away) since it was Friday and everything shuts down mid day Friday for Shabbat (sp?). Even though my flight wasn't until 11.30 PM, I definitely didn't want to miss it...I would've missed BKK! So, I get to the airport and it was the tightest security ever. Security opened my ENTIRE luggage, including the check-in bag. Absolutely livid. Do they know how long it takes to pack those things? Also, you need to pack it in a certain order! But the jokes on them, they had to sit there sifting through my dirty underwear of 3 weeks which has been worn one too many times...Hah!
I flew on Royal Jordinian and they were so nice! Nice little personal TV and mango juice...yum! But Israel is done...here are some final thoughts on it:

Israel
-I forgot to mention but everyone is forced to do 3 years in the military. Girls and boys. Which means everyone walks around in their uniforms and huge guns. It's pretty intimidating.
-The police always have their lights flashing. There were quite a few times I thought they were in pursuit of someone...but they were just driving around.
-I'll miss the hummus.
-Israeli girls are gorgeous, I was kinda surprised.

Ah Middle East. It's over! Now to my home away from home. Sawadeka!

PS I'm writing this blog post from Ko Tao. I'm getting scuba certified today! Wish me luck!

1 comment: