Monday, June 14, 2010

With the power of Ra

Oh my god. I made it to Cairo! Let's start at the very beginning. I arrived at Taba, which is the only border crossing between Egypt and Israel, only to be interrogated by the Egyptian border control.
Egyptian Police (EP): Hello, where are you going?
Me: Egypt.
EP: Are you Israeli?
Me: No, I'm American.
EP: Do you speak Hebrew?
Me: No. Not at all.
EP: Why is there Hebrew written on your bag?
Aside: I borrowed the small backpack from Anna (my roommate) and of course, I had a Jewish roommate last semester. And of course, somehow, something in Hebrew was written on it. Damnit.
Me: It's my roommates bag. That's why
EP: Wait here please.
10 minutes later...
EP: Hello. Where are you going?
Me: Cairo.
EP: Why?
Me: To travel.
EP: Do you know anyone in Cairo?
Me: No...I mean, no. (This is the point at which I realized I know absolutely no one in Cairo. Oh my god, what have I gotten myself into.)
EP: where did you buy your big bag?
Me: REI.
EP: How long ago?
Me: uh...2 years ago.
EP: For how much?
Me: $60.
EP: Where did you get your small bag?
Me: It's my roommates.
EP: What's her name?
Me: Sarah Halpern.
EP: Where do you go to school?
Me: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
EP: What do you study?
Me: Computer Science Engineering.
EP: Thank you, have a good day.

Wow, that was so intense. A really long border crossing. But the drive from Taba to Cairo was unbelievable. I was surrounded by massive mountains and a huge desert, honestly I just couldn't believe I was in Egypt. Finally after a very long 8 hour bus ride, I was in Cairo! I found a taxi, got my hotel and met some girls from Seattle. They were super nice and we decided to go to the Pyramids the next day. I can't even begin to explain, so I'll just show you:



Cassie, Gia and I. Look at the pyramids! Look how dark I am...


If you can believe it, they are even better in person.


We took camels around the pyramid. The camel was sitting down while I was trying to keep my cool. It's scary, to say the least. Also, that little boy in the front is the love of my life.

I know it looks like Cleopatra, but its me! In front of the pyramids!

Walk like an Egyptian. We are such losers.


Our camels. Mine is the one in front. Chuckie! Name after Baby Anna.

Us climbing the pyramid Khufu. It's the biggest!

Pyramid Khufu. From my eyes.


The sphinx. Apparently, its the face of a man, hair of a woman and body of a lion.


Me kissing the sphinx. I think I'm being a little forceful in this kiss..

Just hanging out.


Kiss me toosh! Somehow I nailed this picture...

Check out this video! It's super shaky since I was on a camel at the time, but still very cool!

Anyway, as you can see I had a great time. I was grinning ear to ear the entire time I was in Cairo. Our driver was crazy to say the least, he would play 'Get your freak on' by Missy Elliot and dance it up in the car. Very entertaining. But overall, Cairo is not half as scary as I expected. My hotel was super fun, travelers bustling in and out and just lazing around. Honestly, I'm so glad I came here...I just can't get this stupid smile off my face! Off to Luxor to see the Valley of the Kings and then Dehab for more snorkelling...

But enough about me, how are you doing? ;)

3 comments:

  1. i know where the title of this post comes froms...

    also, since you don't read the news, I heard part of the Sphinx's nose fell off the other day. now i know why

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Priya! Sounds like you're having an amazing time-- Bhakti Mami was talking up your blog while I was in Bombay so I forced my mom into sending me the link : ) Have fun and keep us updated!

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Next time you go to Egypt, take me with you! =D

    ReplyDelete