Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I love Pie! And Pai!


Well, I said goodbye to Chiang Mai and made my way over to the backpacker's refuge: Pai. It's a town of 3000 and known for absolutely nothing. Really, it's where people come to chill out after trekking and meet other backpackers. The town is really cute and there was no one really hassling me to buy things...quite the change from Bangkok. But it was still so hot even though it was in the mountains. I ended up staying with a Dutch girl (Nadine) I met on the bus and let's just say she was ecstatic when Holland won the game and went into the finals! I, of course, slept through the match. Classic American.
We also hung out a lot with some Irish guys and I learned quite a few new phrases such as 'What's the crack?'; 'your man...' or 'your one...' even though the man has no connection to you; 'Bullox'. Where do they come up with this stuff? Also, both the boys admitted to never having eaten Lucky Charms and not owning pots of gold. I guess they really can't be Irish then.
Anyway, Nadine and I basically chilled all day and we to the hot springs, which were so hot that we couldn't go in them during the day. But we made up for it with massages and eating delicious vegetarian curry. I prefer the food in the north.


Me on the drive up to the hot springs. That's right folks, I DROVE a motorbike! But that scrape on my knee was from the tiger temple I went to in Chiang Mai. I was in the cage and one of the baby tigers started mauling me...you should see the tiger. Actually I just tripped and fell on the concrete, so clumsy.


The general view in Pai. Very Green!

While I was in Pai, I found the only Mexican restaurant and guess what: it was air conditioned. It was also proper Mexican food! The owner is originally from Texas and one of the nicest guys I've ever met. I sat in the comfortable AC with him for around 2 hours just talking...like we do in the south. It was great; I love Mexican rice.
From Pai it's back down to BKK for my last few days in Thailand. India is coming up faster than I know it. I can't believe it, but I'm so looking forward to the Chai!

Funny Stories
-In Chiang Mai, I met some Canadian girls and we got Thai massages...from former Thai inmates. It was a really nice massage place which promoted reforming former prison inmates and giving them a place in society. I don't know what we were thinking but it was 20 Baht (60 cents) cheaper than a regular massage. It was really great though!
-When I get really hot, I rub my entire body down with tiger balm to cool down. That's the same thing as icy hot. Such an Indian.
-One night, I was wearing my Illini t-shirt and one random white guys ran up to me and said 'Wait, did you go there?' and of course, he went there too! We talked for the rest of the night about how he used to DJ at Joes and all the great sites in UC! Also, on my boat ride from Ko Tao back to BKK, I was wearing the same shirt and another guys asked the same question! But, the best part is that he's an Urbana townie AND his parents own Timpones! One of my favorite restaurants! I would have never guessed I would meet Nick Timpone on Ko Tao in all my life!

Dirty Little Secrets
-Showering has become questionable in routine. I try but there are definitely times when I go a couple days without showering. And in the heat too.
-I've stopped tipping all together. I just don't care anymore. When I'm earning I'll be back on the tipping band wagon.
-I think I've reached a standard where I can't be without A/C in my room. India will be interesting. I've turned into a flash packer.

I can't believe I'm almost 2 months in! But, it's going great, definitely no regrets so far! Stay tuned for more, sports fans.

1 comment: