Monday, May 31, 2010

Eurotrip!

Yodele Yodele Yodele He Hoo! That's right, I made it to Zurich! The country of chocolate and neutrality.
My flight over was one of the worst I've ever experienced. I sat in the first row of coach where I could secretly envy first class and give them the stink eye. Where first class had 1 attendant for every 10 people, we had 1 for every 40. Ridiculous. Of course, there were no personalized TVs, so I sat watching some PG rated, semi-animated, awkward George Clooney movie called 'Fantastic Mr. Fox'. Then, they didn't have me listed as vegetarian nor did they have any extra vegetarian meals, but the flight attendant didn't seem too concerned. She just told me I wouldn't have anything to eat for 8 hours. Awesome. And then of course, no sleep. I was up all night, hungry, cold, tired, irritated at some low-budget indie film and not smelling too hot. Ah traveling...you can be a real slap in the face sometimes.
But Zurich finally arrived and after 7 complicated hours at the airport, my family and I all found each other. We made our way to Friedrichshafen on the edge of Lake Constance in Germany and settled into our high end hotel. Everyone was super jetlagged so we took it pretty easy. I think my parents are in shock as to how much coffee I drink.
Things that are delicious in Germany: chocolate, beer, bread, jam, and pretzels. Things that are gross: sausage in all its form, mustard (but that's gross everywhere), sparkling water, and the lack of spices. There is also a definite lack of veggies not in the form of a salad eaten in Germany. I hate salad. It's like eating crunchy water.
But its been great so far! My family and I are...pushing through the hours. Here is a quick overview of the personality types in my family:

My Father: must always be in motion or asleep; must have his full knowledge of everyone's plans for the day; likes to pet other people's dogs, even when in a different country; can't go anywhere without a plan.
My Mother: very disclipined woman and wakes up every morning at 6.00 AM even when jetlagged; loves rum raisin ice cream; tends to fall in love with an idea and doesn't let it go until it comes true; can't go anywhere without a plan.
My Sister: never disturb the beast when sleeping; enjoys high-end fashion; likes waking up at a leisurely hour; can't go on vacation with a plan, whiling the day away is half the fun.
Me: beautiful, striking, charming, german-speaking girl; finds herself caught admist a deuling family.
So, avid fans, you can see where a few points of contention might be. Oh well, we all hug and make up at the end of the day.
Zurich and Germany have been great. Lots of fun with some good family memories.
But, we all miss the spices.

3 comments:

  1. Planes/hotels & hefeweizen > 30 hour Paulo rides & Kingfisher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spoiled brat! People used to travel by boat, taking at least a month to get across the ocean occasionally crashing into icebergs and you complain about having to watch a stupid movie...

    What's "high-end fashion"?

    Lack of spices? Haha. Not everyone enjoys a morning asshole burn from downing a bottle of Tabasco:)
    (OK,maybe just sometimes)

    ReplyDelete