Thursday, May 20, 2010

My World Trip

After what feels like 4 endless years, I've graduated college. Yay! But, forget about the congratulations, the better question is: how can I reward myself?
Over the past 4 years I've spent every summer interning at a different engineering company. Lexmark, Expedia and finally Microsoft. I was the girl who brought her lunch to work everyday to save money. And now here I am, 4 years later and what to do with my savings? I could blow all $8,000 on a new Chanel bag (ahem...Reese...). Or I could continue my traveling expeditions with the ultimate Oneworld Explorer Ticket!

In short, my ticket consists of:
-16 flights in one direction (this is with respect to continents, I can move in any direction on 1 continent)
-The Atlantic and Pacific oceans must be crossed once
-4 continents (North America, Europe, Asia, South America)
-Dates of flights can be changed without fees, but my route must stay the same

Here's a quick overview of where I'll be traveling to:
-DC->NY
-NY->Zurich
-Zurich->Vienna
-Vienna->London
-London->Tel Aviv
-Tel Aviv->Amman
-Amman->Bangkok
-Bangkok->Delhi
-Delhi->Kathmandu
-Kathmandu->Hong Kong
-Hong Kong->Singapore
-Singapore->Tokyo
-Tokyo->Sao Paulo
-Sao Paulo->Lima
-Lima->Buenos Aires
-Buenos Aires->NY
-NY->DC
But, like I said, this is a quick overview. I'm sure there will be more stops along the way (i.e. Indonesia, Cairo...) but we can worry about that when the time comes.

A lot of my readers might be asking themselves "Why don't you invest this money into gold or the stock market? (*Indian accent*)". But the truth is, I'll have the rest of my life to worry about saving money, working, and all the obligations of the real world. Before I know it, I'll be paying a mortgage, car insurance, health insurance, saving money in my 401K...and once that starts, it's difficult to put your life on hold and run off to explore the world. Lets face it, I'll never be in the situation again. I'm 22, recently graduated from a world renowned engineering university (UIUC), have my dream job at Microsoft, have no obligations and am still on my parents budget. This is the good life.
Sure, I'm probably the daughter who puts the most gray hair on my parents head, but in my defense, they really should have seen this coming. Apparently, when I was young, I used to crawl into their bed with a globe and ask about countries around the world. I even asked if we could move to Egypt (obviously, my request held no weight). So now, 17 years later, after 2 study abroads in Germany and Thailand, I find myself in a similar mindset as when I was 5. I guess somethings never change.

Long story short, I'm super excited for this trip. Stay tuned for more...

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your graduation....awesome kid go for it its worth every penny and guess wat u get in return MEMORIES EXPERIENCE........... that is everlasting:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I guess the trip might be a bit more fun than a Chanel bag.
    To follow "the obligations of the real world" is only optional. Fore some people, it is hard to get used to and some people never do. Sorry to say this, but if you love adventure and travel, it will stay within you for the rest of your life. It will come out sooner or later...:)

    ReplyDelete