Thursday, May 27, 2010

And We're Off!

At 1.30 PM Eastern time, I officially began my trip by catching the megabus out to NY from DC.


I look like a fool. But that's everything I'll need for the next 4 months!


The bus ride was fine, but the one thing I will say is: I HATE traffic. It was such a tease. I could see the skyline of NY, smell the city's glory, but couldn't get through that stupid Lincoln Tunnel for 45 minutes. Oh well, that's the price you pay for a real city.

The week I spent at home before the start was great. There is nothing like coming home. You put your dishes in the sink and somehow, they get washed. If you throw a shirt in the laundry, its washed, dried and folded on the dryer. It's like magic house elves come and do the work before you can even see them. Seeing my pups, Hercules and Goliath, was quite exciting too. I've missed their personalities so much. First we have Goliath as a man's man who always walks on the outside of the street, eats without manners and protects me from unassuming bumble bees. While Hercules indulges my lazy side by watching TV, sleeping until 12, and stopping to sniff the roses every 15 feet. I've got the man and the guy (get it Nat? :) ).

But, best of all was the food at home. It's tough being a traveling vegetarian, but when I come home, I definitely make up for it. I can safely say I've gained a few pounds from all the dal, naan, pav bhaji, and chutney I ate this week. But who cares, hopefully I'll lose it when I get to Southeast Asia where their idea of vegetarian includes eating chicken.

So here we go beloved followers! Get ready! It's going to be a bumpy ride!

Side Note:
I recently purchased a pair of Vibram Five Fingers: KSO. Here's what they look like:


If you scroll up, you can see me wearing them in the picture above. You actually squeeze your toes into each individual section. Really interesting feeling for the first week. They are made for a new type of running, barefoot running, and are meant for almost any use (i.e. light trekking, swimming, walking). I went running with them one night and I actually really enjoyed it. The sole provided really good traction and it had just rained earlier that day too! They are really lightweight, which is why I'm taking these shoes as opposed to running shoes, and actually pretty cool looking (contrary to Reese's hoity toity NY opinion). I love these new shoes!

2 comments:

  1. Love these shoes! was thinking about getting them.. but I need your review first.. did you wear them in NY at the bars?!?! haha that would be a sight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if I don't wash my feet for a while, it will look like I am wearing those shoes.

    Love the dog personality analysis!

    I hope you found some dumbass to carry at least some of the bags for you:)

    ReplyDelete