Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Back on the road again...

Perhaps I should use a different title for this post...my mother might read this and reach straight for the telephone to call the Nepali embassy and ask if they know where I am :).

But, for those of my readers who are...salivating for my next post, here it is!  I am back on the road!  But this time in a much more tame (somewhat lame!), expensive and orderly place: Germany.  1st world countries...how they bore me :) (sometimes).  But this in one in particular, because for those you who don't know - I spent a year studying abroad in Germany.  I took a year off of high school and college to 'study' in Germany for a year.  I use the term 'study' lightly since I wasn't learning in a conventional sense...

Now, my more critical readers might be asking themselves: why are you in Germany if you aren't really that excited about being there?  Well, if I'm not travelling to eat food, to see a new place or to indulge in my expensive hobbies (i.e. diving/climbing), then what could I be traveling for? People!  I'm traveling to see people.  My best friend, Igor, lives in Germany.  Brief context: Igor and I met on my year abroad.  He ended up being the next door neighbor of my host family.  I guess we hit it off in the first few weeks and have hung out ever since (6 years!).  He's visited me 3 times in America...I thought it might be time for me to come visit him :).  Igor:


Yes, Igor is 3 years old.   


No, but really, this is him in real life


So, the question reigning over your mind is probably: what does it feel like?  Being back in Germany after your year abroad? (clearly, I pretend that I'm being interviewed by the paprazzi...).  It's pretty...refreshing.  Germany was the start of my travels.  It was the first place I'd been to, aside from India & Canada, that I needed a passport.  I came here as a novice adventurer.  Now, 6 years later, I come here as a beginner (seriously, not that much more learned...).  It feels refreshing!  Germany is still Germany.  The trains are on time; the pretzels are delicious; Germans stare at brown girls...everything is the same as I remember, but in a better light.

I think its really easy to feel overwhelmed by the world.  There is no way you'll be able to see and do everything in one lifetime, much less one visit.  There's always a new place to go or something you missed in an old place.  But...it's kind of nice to see Germany similar to the way I left.  It makes you think the world I just a little bit smaller than envisioned.

Ok, bis bald meine lieblingse leser!

Priya

No comments:

Post a Comment